My Sweet Spoiled Dogs - Homemade Dog Food

Homemade dog food!! Yes, my two boys are spoiled. I make most of their food and their treats. I started this when Doodle, my 10 year old Labradoodle, wouldn't eat the food from the store. They LOVE their food now. First, I ordered a couple of books with recipes for dog food. That gave me ideas and also important "don'ts" for dogs. Then I started experimenting. I have found that a large bag of chicken thighs (with skin and bones) works well. It's inexpensive and the dogs love it. I cover the thighs with water and cook them on the stove for about 2 hours. While it cooks I chop the veggies...squash, broccoli stalks, carrots. I remove the cooked chicken and toss the chopped veggies into the boiling water to cook until tender. Next, I use an old potato masher to mash the veggies so the chunks aren't too big. Then I add uncooked grits (about 1 1/2 cups depending on how much broth is in your pan and how thick you want the final product) and allow it to cook until the grits are done. By this time the chicken is cool, and I remove the meat from the bone, shred it and add it back to the pot. Stir well, and then remove it from the heat. Allow it to cool and place into small freezer baggies or plastic containers. Put enough in each container for one meal. This makes about 16 meals for my boys. I usually feed mine twice a day. I use this chicken mix for supper and for breakfast they get scrambled eggs, banana, yogurt, wheat cereal, apple...or some variation of the above. Yes, they are spoiled. But, they are always excited to eat, and the smells coming from them aren't nearly as toxic!!! :):) More to come on treats!! And, yes, I'll talk about people food, too!! Thanks for reading!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment