Two posts ago I confessed to being one of those crazy pet owners that makes my dogs' food at home! I promised to share about my homemade treats. My dogs love these, and they are super easy. Years ago I cut them into bone shapes with my homemade bone-shaped cutter, but I'm more into efficiency now! This recipe can be adapted to your preferences which is why I really like it. And, my grandchildren like them, too! If you plan on feeding them to your grandkids don't cook them as long...don't want to break their teeth.
DOG TREATS
1 t. bouillon granules or 1 T. bouillon gel (I love Better Than Bouillon...chicken, beef or vegetable)
1/2 cup hot water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup wheat germ
In a mixer bowl dissolve the bouillon in the water. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a stiff dough is formed. (I prefer to use a mixer rather than mixing by hand. The dough gets really stiff.) Transfer the dough onto a parchment lined large cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/4-1/2 inch thick (depending how thick you want your treats). At this point you could use your bone-shaped cutter if you choose. I save time and just use a pizza cutter making the treats into squares or rectangles. You decide how large you want the treats depending on the size of your dogs!!! I make big ones and smaller ones since we have dogs of ALL sizes here at Sobremesa. I have two purposes for these treats - something special for my sweet dogs and as a dental treat to help keep their teeth clean. So, they need to cook a long time to get a bit crunchy. I bake them at 325 degrees for about an hour. Baking time will also depend on how thick you make yours.
Store the treats in a sealed container. I often double the recipe and store some in the freezer.
Other options to add to the treats:
shredded cheese, bacon bits, oats, more eggs
As you add different ingredients the texture will change. You may need more or less water.
Bone Appetit!


No comments:
Post a Comment